SUMMARY: StorEdge 3310

Dpk dpk at egr.msu.edu
Wed Nov 12 10:20:35 EST 2003

Thanks to: John Westerdale, <jwesterdale at HOWOST.com>
           Kevin Raber <ktr at mtu.edu>
           Tim Chipman <chipman at ecopiabio.com>
           joe.fletcher at btconnect.com
           Grzegorz Bakalarski <G.Bakalarski at icm.edu.pl>
           Ric Anderson <ric at Opus1.COM>

Three replies recommended the 3310.  One did mention the management
interface lacks features and usefulness and even experienced a volume
halting (requiring single user mode to remount!) due to remote network
scans of the network mgmt interface, which is now disconnected and the
serial one used.

Two replies said they were overpriced for what you get (specifically
performance-wise), recommending the JetStor III as a good alternative.
Other possibilities were Nexsan ATABoy2, HP Storageworks, and Western
Scientific Tornado F3 RAID.

Personally, the JetStor III U160 16-bay RAID looks like a viable
alternative that I will investigate before purchasing... thanks for
this tip.  The ATA/IDE stuff makes me cringe (I'm young, but still
old-school!) even if for just being pounded on reads.  If others have
feedback on this, I'd be interested.

Thanks again,
dpk